Saturday, October 23, 2010

How to mix Shirt and Tie Patterns and Colors.

It’s fair to say the most boring shirt/tie combo is the white button-down with the random tie. It just might be the male equivalent to the female sweatpant and matching track jacket combo. Wearing either just screams, “I give up! I have no clue how to inject creativity into my clothes, so I simply won’t!” Now, I’m not saying the white button-down/random tie combo doesn’t have a proper time and place, because I suppose it does to some. But mixing patterns and colors just looks way more put together, and way more sophisticated. But – there’s a catch. There are certain rules one must adhere to when attempting to mix patterns and colors, so listen up.

Rule #1: One pattern must be bold, in pattern, or color, or both. The others, should stay subtle.

Rule #2: Do not be afraid to mix in a 3rd pattern in your suit.

Here’s a tip: The tie doesn’t always have to be the star. If you have a great checkered shirt, go for it. But then if the shirt is the main star, then that means the tie and suit must be to subtle supporting actors. Get it?

Rule #3: Embrace the pocket square.

No comments: